PDA

View Full Version : Help with new hive

Eman
05-08-2002, 05:28 PM
I have a hive that was a 3lb. package hived on 4-12. Everything has been going good. Last week I put a hive body on with plastc foundation in it as they had drawn out 6 full frames and were working on more. Today I opened the hive and found they haven't come up into the new hive body. What I did find were what appeared to be queen cells in the center of 2 frames.
What should I do? Should I swap some of the plastic foundation frames into the lower box? Should I destroy the queen cells? I don't have another deep body or deep wax foundation, but I do have a shallow super with wax foundation should I put that on?

BILLY BOB
05-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Eman,

I don't understand what you are trying to say.

You had 6+ drawn frams, right? Did the frames have brood, honey, pollen in them?...Were they full?

Then you put another brood box on? Yes, if you pull a drawn frame of brood, honey, and pollen, from the bottom, and put it in the top it will make the bees move up faster.

Are you 100% sure of the queen cells? If so look at the post under the Bee Fourm topic Swarm Cells.

If I had it to do over again I would have split my hive. I was lucky to catch the swarm.

Send me some feedback and let me know. If I can't help someone can.

Billy Bob