Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Books For Newbie

6K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Steven Kluck 
#1 ·
Looking to become just a "backyard beekeeper" and hoping to get some recommendations as far as a couple of good books for someone new to beekeeping to get started with. All information will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug

#2 ·
There are quite a lot of good books out. Roger Morse has an excellent beginners book. I started with "BEEKEEPING, A Practical Guide" by Richard E. Bonney. It is a good starter book. Bee Culture magazine is another source for beekeeping information. Contact your local beekeeping association, the meeting can provide lots of good stuff and even some hands on. The NJ Beekeepers Association hooks up beginners with old timers as mentors. Have fun!

#10 ·
I also got "Beekeeping for Dummies" after seeing it used in an online beginners class. Not all encompassing, but to get started it's a great how to and reference. Here's a link to the first session of the "Bee School." If you don't have access to taking a class, might give this a look, There's five or six sessions and they're about an hour and a half each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxDxbDw5UsI

#11 ·
As one other has said in previous posts, I also have "The Beekeeper's Handbook" by D. Sammataro and A. Avitabile. I also read and old, old beekeeping book by Dadant, published in the 40s or 50s that a friend gave me from his college days (he was a vo-ag major.) and another book which I can't remember the name...

Just a word of advice (as you'll soon find out reading Beesource and different books) is that in the world of beekeeping there are the basics (bee physiology, life cycle, pests) that are always the same, and everyone agrees with; but then there's the methods with which you deal with the basics, where EVERYONE will most definitely not agree. :)

I'm just a noob having started my first colonies from packages last Spring. I studied a whole bunch before that, and now I still find myself seeking information.. It is still astonishing to me how there are people getting into beekeeping without having put some serious studying before getting their bees. (but hey, it keeps the commercial guys going, I guess!)

Have fun: it is truly the best hobby I've been involved in.

#13 ·
I'm a new beek this year and so far I have read Beekeeping for Dummies and The Beekeepers Handbook (required for my class). I recommend both highly. I am now starting through The Backyard Beeekeeper and it is very good so far. All are great to learn from and will be references kept close at hand in the year ahead. :)

#14 ·
These have good photos and are easy reads: "Homegrown Honey Bees" by Alethea Morrison and "The Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping" by Samantha and Daniel Johnson (part of the FFA beginner's guide series.

Good luck with your bees. Send Barry a PM to get your location set. Knowing where you are can help with questions. I wouldn't want to give "local" advice to someone who lives in Canada because it probably wouldn't be relevant. Someone in AL, it might be good for them.

#15 ·
The Practical Beekeeper (Beekeeping Naturally) by Michael Bush **highly recommended

The Backyard Beekeeper (Absolute Beginners Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden) by Kim Flottum

Beekeeping for Dummies

First Lessons in Beekeeping by Keith S. Delaplane

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.