Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Installing sbb

965 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  sierrabees 
#1 ·
This is my first year of beekeeping, started late, and now realize I probably should have screened bottom boards. The beeks I got my colonies from nailed the solid bottom boards on.
Can anyone offer any help, on how to get the bottoms off the deeps with minimal disturbance?
We"re in a summer slow down and the girls are kinda edgy anyways. Lots of smoke or minimal?
Appreciate any help, need to try to minimize robbing also.

#2 ·
Take the hive off the hive stand, place your sbb and an empty deep in it's place, then transfer the frames to the new deep, making sure you have the queen on one of the frames you move. When all the frames are transfered, shake out the remaining bees in front of the hive. You only have to move the frames from the bottom deep that's hooked to the bottom board. Just be sure that you have the queen in the hive. Then put everything back together. You can then remove the old bottom board at your leasuire.

#3 ·
>nailed the solid bottom boards on . . .

If they are nailed from the bottom up, I'd try the "peggjam transfer method".

If they are attached w/ staples (or nails) on the sides, I'd try to remove them w/ pliers.

Reguardless of method used, they "aint gona be happy".

#5 ·
One additional idea. After you have completed the transfer of bees to your SBB hive, turn the old body upside down, take a sabre saw and cut out a large section of the old bottom board leaving a one or two inch rim along the sides, staple 1/8" hardware cloth to the upper side of the hole, you now have a SBB on the old hive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.