PDA

View Full Version : non deadly bee removal by novice

alice
12-31-2000, 01:44 PM
i have just discovered an active bee hive in my dwarf navel orange tree.obviously i had not looked at the tree with my glasses on for a while.i thought it was a dead clump.i must say iwas thrilled that more bees were pollinating my 60 yr old carob tree this past month;now i know why!i really dont want to have them exterminated.they have picked my 1/4 acre yard for their home and i am willing to build a hive ect for them.for the past few years there have been very few honey and native bees around.the hive is one foot by one foot.any suggestions??

------------------

Pollinator
01-01-2001, 08:12 PM
You are in an area which has been colonized by africanized bees. I recommend you get a trained beekeeper to handle them, as these are not a good starting type for novices. Perhaps you can enroll in a beekeeping course at your local extension office or bee club, then get some mentoring by an experienced beekeeper. Caution is the important word here. Africanized swarms can grow into quite unfriendly colonies. Africanized bees can be managed, but it's better to leave that to the pros. You would be better off getting some experience handling conventional (Italian or Carniolan) bees first.

NewBee
01-01-2001, 08:25 PM
Hi Alice, First you need to make sure you have Honeybees. Try calling your local Cooperative Extention or Beekeepers Association and ask them for a local beekeeper that can help you.

Johnsewell
01-02-2001, 02:31 PM
Don't let them put you off Alice, but bee aware that multiple stings are no joke. Very few people have died of stinging...but it is a serious concern. That said you can hive them if they're a swarm (unlikely now) or simply wait till Spring and set up a bait hive hoping to collect a swarm from them. If it's a colony surviving in your tree you may find them difficult to remove. Find a nearby pro for advice. Keeping Bees is fascinating, and even the AHB is not as bad as TV would have you believe. Good luck, don't be put off. They'll appreciate water, and probably eat granulated sugar spilt nearby too. Guess your winter's different from ours if there's pollen about now!