PDA

View Full Version : placing queen excluder

cider
05-23-2002, 06:18 AM
I am trying something a little different this year.My hives have 2 deeps then a shallow super of comb above this I am placing excluder then more shallow comb supers.I am hoping to give the queen a little more room and to keep her out of higher supers.I figure the shallow super below the excluder will be filled with honey by the time I am ready to extract.I might pull some full honey frames to bait the higher supers if needed.Anyone have advice on when and where to place queen excluders,or not to use them at all. Cider

Dee A. Lusby
05-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Hi Cider:

You wrote:
I am trying something a little different this year.My hives have 2 deeps then a shallow super of comb above this I am placing excluder then more shallow comb supers.I am hoping to give the queen a little more room and to keep her out of higher supers.I figure the shallow super below the excluder will be filled with honey by the time I am ready to extract.I might pull some full honey frames to bait the higher supers if needed.Anyone have advice on when and where to place queen excluders,or not to use them at all.

Reply:
Well, what your doing is acceptable practice, for you can pull started honey frames up with open brood to start the bees up putting honey in the others above the excluder, while placing more new frames or empty combs down for the queen to lay in and thus keep her opened up.

Queen excluders are also used as "Queen includers" on the bottom board when ketching swarms until the swarm captured has the queen laying good, so it doesn't re-abscond back out.

Queen excluders can also be used between two brood chambers to keep queens from fighting and each laying within thier own area up to the main flow and then they are combined, the broodnests that is by pulling the excluder and piling on the honey supers for super hives.

Sounds good what you are doing.

Chow:

Dee A. Lusby