PDA

View Full Version : winter losses

margot
01-01-2002, 07:21 PM
My bees survived last winter succesfully, but this year's hive now shows no signs of life. I prepared the hive in the same way, with plenty of food, upper entrance, bees from a mite-resistant Russian queen, and medication, although this year I did not use apistan strips.
I'm very surprised that my bees seem to have died so early in the winter. Does anyone have any ideas about what's happening?

Clayton
01-01-2002, 08:14 PM
Hi,

Are you certain they have died? Some colonies make no noise? You should simply just look and make sure. It is now January where T mites are usually the cause of death. If the colony is indeed dead check carefully on the bottom board for varoa mites as their should be many of them if they are the culprit. This is the best I can tell you with the info you have given. Let me know if they have drifted off to the side or the cluster split in two.

Clay

margot
01-05-2002, 09:20 AM
Thanks for your note of optimism.I'm hesitant to open the hive now, since temperatures are below freezing. Am I correct in assuming that I should not open the hive until early spring? Why would a cluster split in two? I have a screened bottom board and will look for mites when I take the hive apart in the spring.

tworedroseman
01-07-2002, 05:56 PM
Margot: what is the latest on your bees? Has the weather mediated enough that you could look in the hive. Roy

margot
01-10-2002, 03:53 PM
I haven't opened the hive recently, because the temperature has been below freezing, and we had 14 inches of snow earlier this week. I don't want to risk chilling the bees, if any have survived. I'll post a message when I open the hive.