PDA

View Full Version : More hive construction

Frohnho
02-17-2002, 09:31 PM
Ok I got some questions and hope you all can help. First, where are the plans for the box joints that are on this site. Second, I have made my large supers and on final measurments i find that my interior space is at most +/- 1/16 inch from the plans on this site. Will this be a problem? Also i found plans online that differ from beesource plans by 1/8 inch. Is there a standard for hives ? One more question, does the wood in the hive need to be planed smooth or can it be a little rough( like saw marks or even rough cut )?

tworedroseman
02-18-2002, 06:11 AM
Frohnho: Don't believe the bees will be too concerned about a saw mark or knots or even if the wood has been run through the planer. Look inside a rotted out oak tree where bees have set up house keeping and you will realize it seems to matter very little to them what the cavity looks like. As for the variations in measurements, I find that my saw will cut exactly where I set the blade - the variations I get are because of my eyes and a 1/16 or even 1/4 will not matter except it may make the frames fit a little tighter. As long as the bees have the correct space they will be happy in almost anything from old tires to the English Elizabethian hive.

------------------

BILLY BOB
02-18-2002, 05:05 PM
Hello

When I first started building my hives I found some alot of plans that differ from beesource. If you can find a real set of longstroth measurments they go as far down as a 32nd and a 64th of a inch. Everybody rounds that up or down. I think as long as you keep the "bee space" in mind you should be OK. Your boxes may not fit perfectly to any other but it should still match up so it will work. I was looking for the plans that you were talking about a couple of months back. I e-mailed beesource and they gave me the old link to the box joints. I can't remember the address but I'm sure you can e-mail beesource to get it.

Billy Bob

Frohnho
02-19-2002, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Good point about the oak tree, I guess if i give them a home they will move in and be happy. original plans down to a 1/64, Wow thats pretty small.
What happens when humity swells the wood, I guess my hives dont need to be "perfect". Ohh, I found the reason for the varition in my boxes, I'm a bad box joint maker. Guess I need to practice. Thanks again guys

tworedroseman
02-20-2002, 06:53 AM
Fronhno: if you visit a bee yard you will find every type of ill fitting boxes in a mix and match (we hope) configuration. Bees are not particular but the bee space is critical. Roy

rbruno
03-08-2002, 08:30 PM
the main thing to remember is that you need to maintain the beespace around your frames that will hang within the hive. That means on the ends of the frames, below and above.

You can double check your measurements against the type of frame your using and make the interior dimension of the hive body two beespaces larger for the ends of the frames and just wide enough to accept ten frames deep. The height will depend on the height of the frame.

hope this helps.

Rich