Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Zinc Napthenate vs. Copper Napthenate & front porch

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Sundance 
#1 ·
The Keith Delaplane Honey Bees & Beekeeping suggest Zinc Napthenate prior to painting the exterior of the hive. All I can find is Copper Napthenate. I assume this will be ok, especially since it only goes on the exterior. I hate chemical stuff so I just want to be sure it's safe.

Do you all use anything (wood preservative and/or paint) on the front porch of the hive? I'm in Oregon and we get quote a bit a rain so I want to preserve this as best I can but also make sure I'm not putting something on a place that could make the bees sick.

I can't wait until the day I'm answering more questions than I ask. :D

Carla

[ July 24, 2006, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: FlipFlopFarmer ]

See less See more
#2 ·
I use a good grade of latex paint..15.00/gal. from Sherwin-williams.
I do 3 coats.
I don't expect to live long enough for it to rot away.

I paint the bottom board, top, bottom, sides, everything. I do not paint the inside of the boxes.

Average annual rainfall here, 36 inches.

#3 ·
Check out this link. It has information on preservatives and how they affect bees.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1984/kalni84a.pdf

Personally, I think a decent grade of paint is the best bet. I paint the entire bottom board, but not the insides of the boxes.

It really helps to get the bottom board at least a few inches up off the ground on some blocks or a stand.

#6 ·
I am using PQ-80 (copper quinolinolate) prior to
painting with a semi-gloss high quality latex.

In the study noted above PQ-80 rated very well.

"Protection of wooden beehive parts without
detrimental effects on bees, honey, and wax
should result should result from treatment."

"Winter survival was better with this treatment
than, or comparable to that in controls."

I mix 6 ounces in 15 gallons of water.

[ July 24, 2006, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Sundance ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.