PDA

View Full Version : Possible Swarming

d_w_scott
02-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Third year beekeeper in Memphis, TN. Two hives in my back yard.

It's been a crazy winter - snow one week, 75 degrees the next. My bees are flying like crazy, and bringing in tons of pollen, and putting up some honey.

One hive was brand-new going into the winter, so it has one hive body, and I've been feeding it throughout the winter.

Second hive was pretty strong going into the winter, new queen, lots of bees, and LOTS of honey stores for winter.

As I said, both hives are flying now, and the smaller hive is rearing brood. Larger hive is NOT. I went through it yesterday, and there's no brood at all. However, the queen is new as of last fall, and there's tons of honey. I'm worried that the honey is crowding the queen so that she may not lay, and in fact, may swarm. I don't have any drawn comb to put in the hive. I'm wondering if adding a super now would convince these bees to move some honey up top, and give her room to lay.

I've already reversed my hive bodies on this hive, by the way.

Any ideas?

David Scott

Clayton
02-19-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I'm worried that the honey is crowding the queen so that she may not lay, and in fact, may swarm. I don't have any drawn comb to put in the hive. I'm wondering if adding a super now would convince these bees to move some honey up top, and give her room to lay.

I've already reversed my hive bodies on this hive, by the way.

reply:

Sounds like your honey bound. Hmmm.... no drawn combs! Well guess your going to have the bees build some. Pull a few frames of honey from the brood nest and add foundation between "brood combs". Feed (honey if possible).
Extract the honey if possible and feed back. Store the combs to use later to open the girls up. Is the super drawn? If yes and the top box contains brood just let the queen lay up. This tells you that they need more room for brooding. Do you know about unlimited brood nest management (3 deep)? If not look in the past posts of BB for this info. If you can't find it I will explain it again. As I am trying to make the info (old style management)available to beekeepers.

Clay

d_w_scott
02-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Thanks so much, Clay. I'll get in on this today.

What's the best way to feed the honey back to them - just recycle it into a feeder? (I use division board feeders).

David

NewBee
02-20-2002, 08:24 PM
David, There is an excellent article in "Bee Culture" magazine, Feb 2002, page 26, the article is talking about nectar management describing exactly what you and Clay were talking about, being honey bound and that possibly causing swarming. Check it out. Steve

Clayton
02-20-2002, 09:16 PM
David,

It is fine to feed the honey back in division feeder. If the honey is granulated you will have to feed differently.

Clay

gmh3
03-08-2002, 06:44 PM
the 3 box deep brood chamber is covered in detail in the most recent revision of the book "the hive and the honey bee" ;

all beekeepers need this book; it is not an option; when someone like Mr. George Imirie reads and learns from this book then we all need to just buy it and do the same.

this webiste offers it.... not sure of the price , but worth $100 or more in my opinion.