Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Feeding time!

741 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Mountaineerfan 
#1 ·
Good Day all!
On Sunday, I went to check the hives, it had been about 2 weeks since I had been there. Hive #1 has been doing great all summer, and I've actually gotten 3 frames of cut comb from it. When I checked it Sunday, it had very little capped honey, whereas before it was about 70% capped. I'm guessing they're either eating it or moving it farther down into the hive. They still seemed to be doing good.
Hive #2 was not as good. I saw little to no nectar in the hive, but lots of pollen and lots of brood. So I put a quart of syrup in an entrance feeder (so I could eyeball their usage). This morning (Tuesday) I checked and there was about 1/2 a quart left. I went out about 2:00 this afternoon and it was gone! So I refilled the jar and put another feeder in Hive #1.
Does it sound like I was too late in adding the syrup (1:1), or was it just in time. Is anyone else in the north Georgia area having a rough time with this drought?
On a good note, I saw some goldenrod starting to bloom on the way to the hives this afternoon.
steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.