Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Colour Vision & Pattern Recognition

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ainsof 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I've searched the net, and am aware of the work done by von Frisch and, more recently, Lotto of the University College of London in colour vision capabilities of honeybees, but is anyone aware of other colours in addition to the following:

"four of the visual cells in each ommatidium respond best to yellow-green light (544 nm)

two respond maximally to blue light (436 nm)

the remaining two respond best to ultraviolet light (344 nm)"

How about their pattern recognition faculties?

#4 ·
Honeybees can see a fairly broad color range, but they can only differentiate between six major color groups; blue-green, blue, violet, ultraviolet, yellow, and a color known as "bee's purple," a mixture of yellow and ultraviolet. Bee vision is best in the blue-green, violet, and bee's purple colors. Red will appear as a shade of gray.

#6 ·
Thanks everybody.

Once upon a time, I was a special FX artist in LA. There was a company that makes non toxic, water base, high intensity UV paints for the industry. They're pricey, but I'm considering doing some experimentation with them.

The really cool ones are invisible to the human eye in normal light, but fluoresce in full blazing colour under UV.

Check out:

http://www.wildfirefx.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.