PDA

View Full Version : Pendant comb

Kathy
05-23-2002, 02:00 PM
In the upper box of 2 stacked boxes, the bees have built a comb structure to the side of the foundation, rather than on it. The supports linking the comb to the frame attach to the frame and the foundation in just a few small places (most of the connections are hidden under the comb). The result is two-sided comb, with bees working both sides. To access the "inner" side, the bees are crawling between the comb and the foundation. The comb is already in use for hoeny production. Other facts that may or may not be relevant: the foundation is black, the top boxes have been on less than 2 weeks and the colony is very active. Should I be concerned about this comb structure?

------------------
Kathy

Got Honey?
05-23-2002, 07:00 PM
My bees did the same thing except they are using it for drone comb. The only thing I would be worried about is accidentally killing the queen when you take out the frame or killing a lot of bees.
I have no clue how to fix it except to tear it off and hope they don't do it again. Does any one know how to fix it?

Joseph Tona

cider
05-24-2002, 06:47 AM
If it is black pierco plastic foundation you could gently scrape off the burr comb until they draw it outcorrectly.Be careful not to kill bees or queen.Save the wax and honey.If it is duragilt foundation alot of times the bees will chew the wax coating off the foundation making it useless they wont build on it. Cider

Andrey
05-24-2002, 09:07 AM
Personally whenever I have comb structure in the wrong place or where I do not like it I try to cut it off before it gets full of honey or brood, otherwise later it will get messier. If you see a lot of bees use some smoke and most of them will go away. If comb structure has honey in it then enjoy it with your tee after you cut it off, and if it has brood in it then place it above queen excluder and wait until bees are raised then do your work. I do not care much for the drone brood and I do not wait until it has been raised.

Good luck, Andrey.

dickm
06-10-2002, 03:12 PM
I have the same problem and I blame it on the Pierco plastic frames. The hive is not thriving and have not begun drawing comb in the second deep, which has wooden frames. I hesitate to destroy all the work they've done and set them back further. Any ideas?

Eman
06-10-2002, 07:38 PM
I have tried to use black plastic foundation on a hive that was started on wax. They would not touch the plastic and would build comb everywhere but on the foundation. Changed the plastic to wax and they took off like wildfire. I used the plastic on a hived swarm and I guess it was build or die, so they built on it. I'll try to keep that hive all plastic, but it's hard to get some to build on it.

Got Honey?
06-10-2002, 08:25 PM
My bees don't mind the plastic foundation at all I just but a honey super with plastic foundation on a few weeks ago and its all drawn out and full of honey. I had comb off the side of the frame in the brood chamber because I left too much room between two frames.

Joseph Tona

Frosty
06-12-2002, 09:27 AM
I bought a deep super with alternating Pierco and wooden with wax frames and the bees definitely prefer the wooden with wax frames. I'm just outright starting to dislike Pierco and wondering how this company stays in business. If one coats the pierco frames with wax, will the bees draw on it more readily? Seems to make sense to me.

Chris

Clayton
06-12-2002, 10:31 AM
Hi,

Those of you with poor experience with pierco, are you using waxed or unwaxed? Never had good luck with the unwaxed. Take a block of wax and lightly scrape it over the cells and see if that improves things. Wax for me however, as I make my own foundation. The day will come when you wish you never used plastic. Hope you don't have about 3500 combs like me of the stuff. Also some bees don't like pierco because the cell size is smaller than the rest of the commercially available foundation on the market. Except for Dadant's 4.9mm foundation.

Clay