PDA

View Full Version : protective gear

Christine G
03-02-2002, 07:53 AM
Hello! I am now researching the beekeeping business, I don't know too much about it. It sounds like you have to check the hive pretty often. Is it recommended to wear any protective gear? Is there a danger when messing with the hive? I have heard of smoke being used to calm the bees before checking on it. I am not allergic to bees, but I was attacked once when mowing over a hive of ground bees. Does anyone have any information on this? Thank you!

cpecka
03-02-2002, 09:33 AM
I used to wear it all, now I use a sun hat, a smoker and tuck my pant legs into my boots.

Only use a veil when I know I'm going to upset them. Opening them during a dearth, poor weather, or when I know they are a cross bunch of ladies.

NewBee
03-02-2002, 01:33 PM
Hi Christine, Beekeeping is a fun hobby and it can be used for business. You should get a book describing the hobby. These books will usually describe the time, effort, finance and even the equiptment used in the hobby. "BEEKEEPING, A Practical Guide" by Richard E. Bonney is the book I started with. There are many to chose from. You can try the library or get it online. I also joined the local beekeeping association and they hooked me up with a mentor. These are just a few suggestions.

NewBee
03-02-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi Chritine, Now to answer your questions.
"It sounds like you have to check the hive pretty often." Once you have established the hive(s), 2 are suggested to start with, the bees do all the work and you do not have to visit that often.
"Is it recommended to wear any protective gear?" Most beekeepers wear a veil to protect our pretty faces. I use gloves depending on how the girls are.
"Is there a danger when messing with the hive?" The bees can sting, however, if you are slow and careful and the bees feel you are not a threat you should be okay.
"I have heard of smoke being used to calm the bees before checking on it." Yes, quite a few beekeepers use smoke. I use yellow pine needles. Smoke causes the bees to engorge with honey. This instinctive act seems to calm them down.
"I am not allergic to bees, but I was attacked once when mowing over a hive of ground bees." You were most likely attacked by Yellow Jackets. They are wasps. Honeybees like high places and are most likely not as aggressive.
It is a fun hobby. Try it you might like it. Steve