PDA

View Full Version : propolis

Linwood
06-17-2002, 06:08 PM
second year beekeeper
my carniolans are using so much propolis,that
i have a hard time removing the frames. a friend told me,it must be the two big pines
that are over my hives. any ideas as to what
i can do?
my frames are starting to come apart.

Glenn West
06-18-2002, 08:57 AM
I have a couple of hives of carnolians and agree that they do produce quite a lot of propolis as compared to, say, Italians. Never heard of pines influencing propolis production. To save your frames you could nail the end bars through the side to the top and bottom bars rather than just nailing through the top of the top and bottom bars into the side bars. Another thing I do is use a type II glue when assembling the frames. The only other thing to do would be to clean up the hive body rabbet and frame end bars well (using your hive tool) each time you inspect.

HTH...

richard
06-19-2002, 01:53 AM
Don't know how true this is but I was old that colonies kept under any large trees produce more than average propolis. The explanaion was that when the wind blows there is root movement which the bees feel and they try to secure the hive with propolis.
Nice theory but ...

------------------
Regards
Richard
(Berkshire UK)

Robert Brenchley
06-19-2002, 02:54 AM
Had you thought of harvesting propolis? There must be a market out there. If you only have a little, you could try making your own medicines with it.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK

Linwood
06-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Glenn West, thanks for the info I'll try
nailing the sides and glue, with alittle
scrping . thanks again.

Thanks Richard that does sound logical about
bees feeling the trees sway, and use more
propolis.

Robert no i did not know you could make medicine from propolis,thanks for the info.
thanks again guys for the input .

Robert Brenchley
06-19-2002, 07:04 PM
I make tincture, which is great for sore throats or any cuts or ulcers in the mouth. Put some propolis in the freezer till it's frozen solid then smash it up before it thaws out. Add it to hot vodka. The concentration is up to you, but I find it works with even a trace of propolis. I'm going to try making ointment shortly.

------------------
Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com
Birmingham UK