Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Best conditions for flow

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  jamiev 
#1 ·
I am trying to get this straight in my mind.

What are the best weather conditions for nectar production?

What effect does an individual condition have on nectar production, or more importantly available nectar production. By that I mean nectar could be readily produced, but may dry up due to wind conditions.

#3 ·
Things that effect nectar production consists of: Soil moisture, atmospheric conditions, wind, rain, dampness or high humidity, flower size ( flower output from plant growth), and many other items.

It is the combination of many items that goes into nectar production. If I had to detail the "best" it would be: normal rainfall during the growth period of the main flow plant sources, rain-free days during the flow period, normal temps and little wind.

Sometimes an item like rain can be quite normal if looking at the monthly rain guage, but other items impact the conditions from keeping nectar production less than best. This spring the rain fall for my area was normal. But 90 degree heat in late April and early May kept the clover flow below normal. Most rain did not penetrate very far and then just evaporated during the daytime heat in the 90's. This supressed nectar production, but also drastically effected the length of time the clover was producing. The monthly totals looked good from a rain gauge point of view, but it was bone dry in the soil and the clover died back way too soon.

Untimely rain during the critical main flow period of any flower can cut the flow. Night time rain is not as bad as afternoon showers that wash the nectar from the flowers. Rain also effects some flower sources more than others. Locust is one flow source you do not want rain.

The length of most flower sources is anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks. Most flowers normal produce a high amount of nectar for just a couple days but the flowers are spread over a period of time and thus the flow from one source may last weeks. Some flower sources are more concentrated and anything effecting the flowers even for a short period of time can effect the entire flow.

High heat, lack of ground moisture, and daytime rains will impact the flows.

Site selection effects nectar production. Hives along wetlands, rivers and natural waterways may have flower sources not effected as much as plants not taking advantage of such water tables.

As Dave W, has said, many items and combinations play a part. Anything in excess (ie. rain temops, wind, etc.) will impact nectar production.

#4 ·
Thanks for that information, it will certainly give me something to mull over.

I am thinking that some humidity and little wind may will keep nectar from drying up, is this correct?

I had been thinking of simply daily events, you gave me a much bigger picture to consider; I appreciate that.

I always thought that I was aware of the plants around me, but I had mostly neglected them. Now I walk around wondering what certain plants are and what else is around here for the girls to work on. I am also more aware of the smells of various flowering plants. Its more that just bees, this beekeeping stuff.

#6 ·
I am a newbee. I find myself telling my wife things like..
Have those wild blue flowers always grown by the roadside? (Asters)And how about those yellow ones? What are they? She claims they have been there forever, i just never noticed. Unfortunately, I have missed them until now. I really do enjoy beekeeping and the way it has made me more aware of nature, although I have always enjoyed gardening, and viewing wildlife. Beekeeping has really been a fulfilling hobby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.