Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Pollen in honey

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Konrad 
#1 ·
While doing a crush and strain I came across mustard yellow pollen. I tried to keep it out but a small amount got in. It's just for me so it's not an issue- but it does look cloudy.
Is it normal for bees to store pollen above the nest?
Anything I can do to minimize it?
It may also be a small amount of wax as the extracting room was really hot while I was out.
Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
While scraping the cells from the mid-rib (foundation), watch for cells of pollen (they appear as dark cells or areas if held in front of light) and avoid including anything "dark" in your "draining honey".

In 20 shallow frames, I may find a dozen or so cells, or an area of 2 x 6", it just "depends"

#6 ·
Pollen grains in honey will speed up the
crystalization process, and they can be
cheaply "eliminated" with the use of the
200 micron, 150 micron, and 100 micron
filters sold by Dadant and others, the
ones that sit in the opening of a 5-gallon pail.

There is no way to completely eliminate
all pollen, but use of the filters can
create a much more "crystal clear" honey,
which is what the unenlightened consumer
(and honey judge) expects to see.

#7 ·
"It doesn't look/taste bad, but it is different than storebought. Thanks for the help!"

Differerent good? My honey is different than store bought, but heads above what is sold there. Pollen and all. If you expect it to taste like supermarket bought you will probably be disappointed. Unless you want to superfilter and boil your honey.

I'm trying to abandon my desire for visually perfect honey and will see how it sells unaltered. Some do really well that way.

-rick

#10 ·
I also like to have pollen in my honey!...this year I had more then last, sometimes I scrape some out and taste it, has a very strong flavor! I told my wife and son to taste it when we extracted this year, they where saying it taste like bee poop! :D :D
Not everyone's thing I guess.
But I also tell my customers that it's good for
you!....especially for man, it can help to get you closer to momma!
Konrad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.